During World War II, the U.S Office of War Information set up a radio station with call letters KZSO inside a US navy submarine with the intention of sending messages and updated information on the progress of the war against Japan. The station played a vital role and contributed largely to the early occupation of the Philippines by the US armed forces.
This 50-watt portable radio station later found its way to the Philippines when USAFFE soldiers landed in Lingayen Gulf during the first week of February 1945. KZSO was alongside the American soldiers as they reached Manila. A makeshift studio was constructed in an old warehouse of Carmelo and Bauermann on Azcarraga St. (now Claro M. Recto), beside the Far Eastern University. The following year, KZSO renamed KZFM--temporarily moved to the Ramon Roces Building on Soler St. in Sta. Cruz, Manila until it was turned over to the Philippine Government-- under the Department of Foreign Affairs--in September 1946.
The Radio Broadcasting Board, created on September 12, 1947, took charge of the administration and operation of KZFM, which moved its studios to the fourth floor of the Manila City Hall building on Taft Avenue. On January 1, 1952, the Board was abolished. In its place was established the Philippine Information Council. In compliance with a resolution approved in the International Telecommunication Conference in Atlantic City, U.S.A., all radio stations in the Philippines would adopt the letter "D" as the first letter of its call letters. Thus KZRM became DZFM. On July 1, 1952, the Philippine Information Council was abolished and consequently, DZFM was placed under the Office of The President in Malacaņang.
DZFM acquired a new 10 kilowatt transmitter in 1958. The old 5-Kilowatter was used to establish a sister station, later known as DZRM, together with the short-wave stations DUH2 and DUB4. Thereafter, it was therefore necessary to adopt a new name for the mother entity of the radio stations, which gave birth to the umbrella organization called the Philippine Broadcasting Service (PBS).
In the 60's, provincial stations were established to augment the operational coverage of PBS. During this period, DZEQ Baguio, DYMR Cebu, and DXRP Davao came into being, together with other relay stations including DZMQ Dagupan. Other AM stations were likewise established in Manila including DZCP, where the entire congressional deliberations were aired. The mid-60's also saw the establishment of a television station under PBS using channel 10 for its telecast.
When martial law was declared in 1972, PBS was abolished. On January 1, 1973, it was resurrected as Bureau of Broadcast (BB) under the Department of Public Information.
Meanwhile, another government entity--the National Media Production Center (NMPC)-acquired the facilities of the Voice of America in Malolos, Bulacan in 1969. The NMPC operated the "Voice of the Philippines" (VOP) on both medium wave-918 Khz and short-wave 9,910 mhz transmissions. In 1980 the NMPC obtained DWIM-FM (presently DWBR) 104.3 Mhz.
The BB and the NMPC were brought under one administrative roof in 1980 when the Office of Media Affairs (OMA) was created to provide a loose union for both networks within the ABS-CBN complex in Bohol Avenue, Quezon City.
After the peaceful 1986 EDSA Revolution, the OMA, NMPC and BB were abolished. In their stead came the Bureau of Broadcast Services (BBS).
At present, PBS-BBS owns and operates radio stations nationwide with DZRB Radyo ng Bayan Manila as its flagship station.